Saturday, December 15, 2018

MediBang Paint is My New (Not So New) Art Software

Heya, it's been a while since i last posted here. I feel I can finally start posting again and this time, it's about the art software I've been using recently and am slowly getting to know better as the time passes.

MediBang Paint is an awesome digital drawing/painting software. It's a fork of FireAlpaca and is being maintained separately by a different team. It has a very lightweight footprint and brushes from FireAlpaca are pretty much compatible with it.

I've switched to it for the most part from Clip Studio largely because of the fact that it has a mobile version. When I got into an accident, I was bedridden and could only fiddle with my phone. I first worked with Sony's Sketch app but after a while, I found that to be a bit limited. That was when I discovered about this amazing little tool. Even the Android mobile version is jam-packed with features. It blew my mind away that I could do all that on mobile. Naturally when I got back to using Windows again, I checked out the desktop version.

It's still taking some time to get used to the way it does things differently from Clip Studio. It is essentially a simpler program than CSP for sure but I like to think of it as a way to "go back to the basics". After all, I don't particularly need all the features CSP has to offer. Although, their new sharing service is pretty dope! Thankfully I can still use my Clip Studio account to use that without actually having to use the paint program.


Do I think MediBang Paint will ultimately surpass Clip Studio Paint in terms of features? I highly doubt it. Clip Studio Paint is almost like an industry standard at this point. Similar to how when you talk about editing photos, your mind automatically goes to Adobe Photoshop instead of GIMP. MediBang paint focuses on particular things, mainly: illustrations and manga creation. Sure CSP also caters to those but it also has so much more than that that I feel MDP just won't ever get to that point. Of course, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

That's all from me for now and I hope my next blog post won't have the same gap in time as this. 😅